Can't find the post you're looking for?
Please scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll find the blog archive, containing all of the posts ever published on this blog.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

World of Dreams Pin of the Fortnight

Happy Easter everyone! In the spirit of the season, I have selected a pin today which is *loosely* related to Easter. Ok, maybe the connection is a little long winded, but you can't blame me for trying!

The pin in question is for Splash Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, the awesome flume ride which rules the roost of attractions over in the Frontierland area of the park. Naturally, this excellent ride has a couple of equally egg-cellent pins to match (Easter-themed pun intended), with this one being my favourite. Just to clarify, my sole reasoning for this pin being Easter- related was that Splash's main character is Brer Rabbit, and rabbits are animals commonly associated with Easter. Although Brer Rabbit himself doesn't appear on the pin, he's the attraction's figurehead, and therefore forms the Easter connection. Not much of a connection, I know... I guess I'll have to blame it on all the Easter eggs I've eaten!

Anyway, back to the pin. It really is an exquisite little pin, and was a pretty good price too. Whilst I can't remember exactly how much it was, I do recall being pleasantly surprised the price it was, I thought it would be a few dollars more. It's not like it's a bad pin either- I'm the one who'll never get a job pricing merchandise at Disney... I always over or underestimate prices! It is in fact one of the sturdiest and most detailed pins I own, and shows Mickey, Pluto, Donald and Goofy aboard a Splash Mountain log which is plunging down the attraction's 50 foot drop, creating a big splash of course!

However, the coolest feature of this pin by far is it being a slider pin, having a moving part. In this case, the log and the words 'Splash Mountain' slide up and down the pin, thus creating the effect of the log plummeting down the drop. Here it is at the top...





And at the bottom...




Cool, right? I love pins with aesthetics, they're so much more interesting to look at than regular pins, albeit so much more expensive to buy!

My one criticism of this generally wonderful pin is that it's really too small to be able to truly appreciate the awe-inspiring detail which the incredibly talented designer has put into it. It's quite difficult to make out some parts of the pin clearly without a decent magnifying glass, and this problem would be eliminated completely if the pin was 4-6 millimetres larger. This would also allow for a greater amount of detail! Another minor weakness is that no characters from the attraction itself are featured, but that depends on your perspective and doesn't really bother me at all.

I purchased the pin in the little store at the exit to Splash Mountain, and the story of when I bought it remains one of my favourite Disney memories to this day! It's such a dear story to me that I have decided to write an entire blog post about it, which shall be appearing tomorrow! The pin is also available at other major stores throughout the Magic Kingdom, and can also be found in several stores at Downtown Disney. It's certainly not hard to find! Generally, if the store sells pins and is at the Magic Kingdom or Downtown Disney, they should have this pin in stock! I would really recommend it over the other Splash Mountain pins- its detail and kinetics make it a great addition to any collection!

If you have any questions or comments about today's pin, please don't hesitate to write a comment below, post on the Blog's Facebook Page, or you can email me at worldofdreamsblog @gmail.com

Thanks for reading, and happy Easter!

No comments: